Saturday, March 17, 2007

RECIPE ~ Sugar-free Fruit Spreads


I've been on a sugar-free regime for some years now but sometimes I just NEED some jam on my whole grain yeast-free toast! I've discovered that by taking dried fruit and soaking them in juice, just a quick puree will produce a naturally sweet, sugar-free jam that's even suitable for raw diets.

1 cup chopped dried fruit of your choice
(such as prunes, apricots, raisins, apples, papaya...)
1/2 cup or more juice
(such as apple juice or apple cider, orange juice, fruit nectars...)


Soak the dried fruit in the juice overnight, making sure there's just enough liquid to completely cover the fruit. Using a small food processor or wand-style hand blender, puree the mixture until smooth. That's it! Store in a jar, refrigerated. Why not try it on scones or pancakes with walnut butter!

Makes about 1 cup. Pictured above made with equal parts dried apricots and prunes, soaked in orange juice.

FOR INDIVIDUAL DOSHAS
Great for all the doshas!
VATAS generally should avoid dried fruit, but all soaked dried fruit is fine, especially prunes and raisins
PITTAS avoid pineapple, strawberries and cranberries
KAPHAS avoid mangoes, papaya and pineapple

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

mmmmm I just got to try this yam!! I really love sweats but tries to cut down bacause of my Kapha imbalance (envy those vatas;-)
But this jam sounds perfect for me!
I am as you know half way into my agni-cure and I feel really tired so I've spent almost all day reading your blogg and there's even more to read!
I want u to know how much inspiration, ideas and joy u give me trough your blogg! Sooo grateful!!
Take care love

Anonymous said...

May I know how long does this jam keep?
Tks

Claudia Davila (Fran) said...

I think it will last as long as an open container of juice in your fridge -- maybe a month? That's just a guess, sorry! : )

JK said...

Hi Claudia

Do we soak the dried fruits in the refrigerator?

Tks
JK

Claudia Davila (Fran) said...

Hello JK,

Yes, if it's overnight, best to soak in the refrigerator. :-)

Anonymous said...

Hi Fran,

Weird question but...can I make this somehow without a blender? My roommate and I do not own one but I would really like to try this! Any tips? Otherwise, it may be time for me to invest...or at least get to know my neighbors and ask them!

Thanks!
-Katharine

Claudia Davila (Fran) said...

Hi Katharine!

I think if you soak it long enough you can probably mash it with a potato masher or even a fork, but it'll be chunky (not a bad thing!) and may take a bit of elbow grease ; ) But in truth it's great to have a hand-held blender like this one -- great for everything from pureeing soups, making dips and spreads, even making nut butters. I'm sure you can find one at a garage sale or on Craigslist!

Unknown said...

hmmmm, this is really yummy sweet recipe. want to buy yummy sugar free sweets online visit www.diabeticsdezire.com