Wednesday, February 04, 2009

RECIPE ~ Collard Greens with Lentils


I'm always looking for ways to incorporate more greens into my meals. This is a quick and yummy side dish that would go great with sesame encrusted tofu, stuffed zucchinis, open-faced veggie burgers, and so on.

olive oil
1 bunch collard greens, washed and chopped
1 red onion, sliced
2 cloves garlic, chopped
2 bay leaves
1/2 tsp smoked paprika (optional)
sea salt to taste
2 cups cooked lentils (I used canned, drained)


In a large pot on high heat, drizzle about 2 Tbsp olive oil. Add onions, garlic and bay leaves, and reduce heat to medium. Cook til onions are translucent, then add paprika and collards with another drizzle of olive oil. Continue cooking around 10 minutes til collards are soft, then add the lentils. Season with salt to taste while lentils heat through. Done!

Serves 3-4.

FOR INDIVIDUAL DOSHAS
VATAS replace collard greens with other leafy greens; use red lentils or black lentils
PITTAS minimize or omit onion, garlic and paprika
KAPHAS minimize use of oil and salt; use red lentils or chickpeas

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is a wonderful recipe. I am intrigued by your blog and love reading it. I am new to ayurvedic principles and am trying to learn more and more. Thanks!

Michelle K. said...

Hi Fran! I'm writing an article on Ayurveda, and I love your website - do you think I could get a few quotes from you? Email me any time - michelley415@yahoo.com. Thanks!

Dazy said...

Can I seriously come over for dinner soon? ...... your recipe sounds so yummy.....