Tuesday, January 17, 2012

RECIPE ~ Light and Lovely Lunch

Back on track with a healthier diet, today I made a quick, easy, warm, fresh made lunch that I'm sure to repeat!

1 small squash (I used acorn)
1 small tomato, diced
1/2 cucumber, diced
2 Tbsp chopped olives (I used kalamata)
flax oil
fresh lemon juice
sea salt and black pepper to taste
garnishes: choose from hemp seeds, sesame seeds, fresh herbs


Wash the squash then cut into quarters. Scoop out the seeds then cut quarters in half again. Place in a steamer and steam until cooked, around 20-30 minutes.

Place half the squash on one plate and half on another (I peeled my squash after cooking). Distribute the tomato, cucumber and olives over each plate of squash, then drizzle with flax oil and lemon juice to taste. Season lightly with salt and pepper, and add any garnish you like.

So yummy and easy. Can also be a side dish to a rice pilaf, veggie kabobs, etc. I accompanied it with a ginger peppermint tea. Enjoy!